Regrettably, a large majority of insurance policyholders have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and about 40% of consumers have never shopped around. The average driver in Bakersfield could save themselves as much as $470 a year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t understand the big savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
It takes a little time, but the best way to quote cheaper Ford Thunderbird insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers in Bakersfield.
Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of how companies price auto insurance and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price like at-fault accidents and a negative credit history can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover ideas to get low prices and find more discounts that you may not know about.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote rates from many different companies. Compare rates
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price quotes from every company you can. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Best companies for Ford Thunderbird insurance
The following companies offer quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Informed Consumers Know How to Find Auto Insurance at a Discount
Many different elements are used when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, but other factors are not as apparent like where you live or your financial responsibility. The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with cheaper rates.
The following are some of the items companies use to determine premiums.
Bundle and save – Some insurance companies afford lower prices to customers who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, consumers should still compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Marriage is a factor – Getting married may cut your premiums on your auto insurance bill. It demonstrates that you tend to be less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Don’t get traffic citations – Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Just one ticket can bump up the cost substantially. Careful drivers get better prices compared to bad drivers. Drivers with flagrant violations such as DUI or reckless driving might be required by their state to complete a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
Higher rates for specific occupations – Careers such as fire fighters, architects, and stock brokers generally have higher premium rates attributed to job stress and lots of time spent at work. Other jobs such as scientists, athletes and performers pay lower than average rates.
Theft deterrents save – Buying a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder car theft.
Lower physical damage deductibles cost more – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your Ford. Examples of covered claims are a dented fender, flood damage, and rolling your vehicle. Comp and collision deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
Slash rates with these discounts
Some companies don’t necessarily list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Accident-free drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual and GEICO will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles with the same car insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new Thunderbird may earn a small discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Sign Early and Save – Some car insurance companies provide a discount for switching companies early. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Own a Home and Save – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Clubs and Organizations – Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could qualify you for a break on car insurance.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags could see savings up to 30%.
We need to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
Car insurance companies that may have many of the previously listed discounts are:
Before buying, ask all the companies how you can save money. Some discounts might not apply in Bakersfield.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agencies
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance quotes and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Bakersfield who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency because prices are sent to your email. You can find the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Picking an insurer requires you to look at more than just the price. A good agent in Bakersfield will have answers to these questions.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- How are they compensated?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
Different types of Bakersfield auto insurance agents
When researching a reliable insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies from which to choose. Agents can be described as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are usually well trained on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Bakersfield that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to get several quotes from independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are Bakersfield independent insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance – Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
3795 Niles St – Bakersfield, CA 93306 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
Be persistent to save money
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on Ford Thunderbird insurance in Bakersfield. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even find the lowest rates are with a small local company. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When shopping online for auto insurance, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
More detailed auto insurance information is located by following these links:
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Bakersfield Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)