If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurers who provide auto insurance in Bakersfield.
- Step 1: Learn about how auto insurance works and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many rating factors that cause high rates like distracted driving and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides the details to get affordable coverage and find overlooked discounts.
- Step 2: Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the new insurer. Once the application is submitted, keep the new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
The most important part of this process is to try to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from all possible companies. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
We don’t have to tell you that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. People who shop for lower prices will most likely buy a different policy because of the good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent survey discovered that people who compared price quotes annually saved over $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the best rates on auto insurance in Bakersfield is your ultimate target, then having an understanding of the best ways to find and compare insurance coverage can help you succeed in saving money.
The quickest way to compare car insurance company rates for Chevy Bolt EV insurance in Bakersfield takes advantage of the fact all the major auto insurance companies will pay a fee to give you rate quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is give the companies some data including if it has an alarm system, if the vehicle is leased, if you have a valid license, and the year, make and model of vehicles. Your details is sent automatically to many of the top insurers and you receive quotes quickly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and enter your zip code.
The following companies provide free rate quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Chevy Bolt EV insurance discounts in Bakersfield
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but companies offer discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some of these discounts will be visible when you purchase, but a few must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
A quick disclaimer, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer include:
- State Farm may include discounts for good student, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, multiple autos, and safe vehicle.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, air bags, good driver, defensive driver, and Steer into Savings.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, air bags, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, federal employee, and good student.
- 21st Century offers discounts including homeowners, air bags, theft prevention, early bird, driver training, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive discounts include homeowner, good student, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
Before you buy a policy, ask every insurance company how you can save money. Some credits may not be available in Bakersfield. To see providers that offer multiple discounts in California, click here to view.
When to talk to an insurance agent
Many drivers would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a smart decision The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheaper premium rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for local agencies is still important in Bakersfield.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to participating agents in Bakersfield that give free quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to find an agent because prices are sent immediately to you. Get lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When narrowing the list to find a local Bakersfield insurance agency, there are two types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agencies in Bakersfield are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents are not locked into one company and that gives them the ability to insure with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s a good idea to compare prices from several independent agencies to maximize your price options. Most independent agents also contract with companies that do not advertise much that many times have cheaper rates.
Below are Bakersfield independent insurance agencies who may provide competitive price quotes.
- William K Lyons Agency Inc
2100 F St # 200 – Bakersfield, CA 93301 – (661) 327-9731 – View Map
- California Canyon Insurance Agency
B, 4900 California Ave #210 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 377-2978 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
201 California Ave – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
Exclusive agencies can only place business with one company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers often buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Bakersfield willing to provide rate quotes.
- James Banks – State Farm Insurance Agent
1525 Columbus St #400 – Bakersfield, CA 93305 – (661) 872-5140 – View Map
- Abir M Pulskamp – State Farm Insurance Agent
1100 Mohawk St #240 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 322-3338 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – E Bob White
3811 Auburn St – Bakersfield, CA 93306 – (661) 871-3000 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agency requires more thought than just the quoted price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- How long have they been in business?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- What companies can they write with?
- Does the agent help file claims?
Good Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Premiums
Many different elements are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, although others are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the factors that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower rates.
Keep the miles off and save – The more miles you rack up on your Chevy every year the higher your rate. Many insurance companies calculate rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Improper usage on your Bolt EV may be costing you higher rates. It’s a smart idea to ensure your declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Liability protection risk factors – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
Premiums are lower the older you get – Youthful drivers in California are statistically shown to be more careless when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a beginning driver onto your car insurance can be quite pricey. Older insureds are shown to be more cautious, are lower risk to insure, and usually have better credit.
Male costs may be higher – Statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. This data doesn’t prove that males are worse at driving than females. Women and men are in at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Not only that, but men also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
Physical damage deductibles are a factor – Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called ‘full coverage’, insures against damage to your Chevy. Examples of some claims that would be covered are a dented fender, collision with an animal, and having your car stolen. Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for car insurance.
Decrease prices by maintaining coverage – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a guaranteed way to bump up your car insurance costs. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage might get you fines or a revoked license. You may then have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Incidental coverages that may not be needed – Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that can add up if you don’t pay attention. Coverage for things like personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment when deciding what coverages you need, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
Traffic violations cost more than a fine – Your driving record influences premium rates substantially. Attentive drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Having just one ticket can increase the cost of insurance by twenty percent. Drivers unfortunate enough to have multiple violations like reckless driving or DUI are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to legally drive.
Why you need car insurance
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Bakersfield, insuring your vehicle may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Bolt EV, most lenders will have a requirement that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Car insurance protects your Chevy and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Bakersfield auto insurance company ratings
Insuring your vehicle with the right auto insurance company is difficult considering how many companies there are to choose from in California. The rank data listed below could help you pick which car insurance providers you want to consider comparing rates with.
Top 10 Bakersfield Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of ways to compare Chevy Bolt EV insurance premium rates in Bakersfield. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers and poor customer service. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
Affordable Chevy Bolt EV insurance in Bakersfield can be purchased on the web in addition to many Bakersfield insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer rates over the internet and these smaller providers prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read in these articles:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Car Insurance for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)