Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Consumers who get price comparisons will probably switch to a new company because there is a great chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent auto insurance study revealed that consumers who compared prices once a year saved approximately $72 a month compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance is why you’re reading this, learning the best ways to shop for insurance can help simplify the process.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates in Bakersfield is to compare prices at least once a year from companies that insure vehicles in California.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how auto insurance works and the things you can control to lower rates. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as distracted driving and poor credit can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Read the full article for ideas to prevent high rates and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple sources.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing rates to see if cheaper X1 coverage is available in Bakersfield. If you can save some money and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A key point to remember is to compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get prices from every insurance company. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
The car insurance companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Why you need auto insurance
Even though it can be expensive, buying auto insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your BMW, most lenders will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your BMW at a more expensive rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance preserves both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your BMW as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially if you ever need it. But the average American driver overpays more than $825 a year so you should quote rates at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a new X1 can cost up to 25% less since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll and complete driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who live away from home to go to college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Life Insurance – Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can bundle your homeowners and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
One last thing about discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best discounts in Bakersfield, click here to view.
Buying from car insurance agents
A lot of people just prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Professional insurance agents can answer important questions and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this short form, your insurance data is sent to insurance agents in Bakersfield that can give you free Bakersfield auto insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer because prices are sent to you instantly. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurer requires you to look at more than just a low price. Any agent in Bakersfield should have no problem answering these questions:
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
Not all car insurance agents are the same
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agencies in Bakersfield are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference in how they write coverage because it may have an impact on your agent selection.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive agents in Bakersfield who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If prices rise, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you get quotes from several independent insurance agents in order to compare the most rates.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Bakersfield who can help you get rate quotes.
Car insurance coverage breakdown
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy can be of help when determining the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages available from car insurance companies.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills like X-ray expenses, doctor visits, funeral costs, chiropractic care and pain medications. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability insurance can cover damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things like loss of income, emergency aid, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your X1 resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for claims such as colliding with a tree, colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your X1 to bring the cost down.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your BMW X1.
Due to the fact that many California drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as fire damage, hail damage, rock chips in glass and vandalism. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where someone dropped collision coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
The cheapest BMW X1 insurance in Bakersfield can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Bakersfield agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just presented a lot of ways to reduce BMW X1 insurance premium rates online in Bakersfield. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable BMW X1 insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest premium rates come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Bakersfield Car Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teenage Females in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Welfare Recipients in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)