If you want to save money, the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from insurers that insure vehicles in Bakersfield. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
First, take a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like multiple speeding tickets and a low credit rating can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. Select a company
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
A valuable tip to remember is to try to use the same level of coverage on each quote and and to compare every insurance company. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
It’s safe to conclude that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Drivers who compare other prices will probably switch car insurance companies because there is a good chance of finding better rates. A recent survey revealed that consumers who regularly compared rates saved an average of $865 annually compared to other drivers who never compared rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on car insurance in Bakersfield is your objective, then having some insight into how to compare coverage rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
The easiest way to compare rates for Chevy Volt insurance in Bakersfield utilizes the fact most of the bigger providers provide online access to give free rates quotes. To get started, all you need to do is provide details such as driver ages, if you went to college, if the car is leased, and if your license is active. Your rating data gets transmitted to all major companies and they respond with quotes quickly.
To compare cheap Chevy Volt insurance rates now, click here and enter the information requested.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Save money with these nine premium slashing discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not advertise every possible discount very clearly, so we break down some of the more common as well as some of the hidden savings tricks you should be using when you buy Bakersfield auto insurance online.
- Multi-line Discount – Select companies reward you with lower prices if you buy some life insurance too.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of more than 20%.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Paperwork-free – Some companies will give you a small discount get Bakersfield auto insurance on your computer.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Club Memberships – Joining a qualifying organization can get you a small discount on your bill.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear prior to being involved in the accident.
- Telematics Data – Bakersfield drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to study when and where they use their vehicle by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates as long as they are good drivers.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
To see a list of providers with the best discounts in California, click here.
Neighborhood agents and car insurance
A lot of people still like to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to participating agents in Bakersfield who will give you quotes for your business. There is no reason to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. You can find better rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right provider is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Is there a local claims center in Bakersfield?
What type of Bakersfield car insurance agent is right for you?
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agents in Bakersfield are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents work for only one company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are trained well on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Many people buy from exclusive agents mainly due to high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Bakersfield who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – James Burton Jr.
1309 S H St – Bakersfield, CA 93307 – (661) 836-1300 – View Map
- Kathy Herm – State Farm Insurance Agent
93314, 6515 Panama Ln #104 – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 832-1020 – View Map
- Mike Brazzell – State Farm Insurance Agent
3721 Columbus St – Bakersfield, CA 93306 – (661) 872-7770 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and get the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, they simply move the coverage in-house which makes it simple for you.
If you need lower rates, you should always get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection. They often place coverage with smaller mutual companies which could offer lower prices.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Bakersfield that are able to give rate quotes.
- Tony Camarena Insurance Agency
324 Oak St – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 322-3500 – View Map
- Omega Financial and Insurance Services Inc
400 H St – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 326-6870 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance – Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
3795 Niles St – Bakersfield, CA 93306 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
Why you need to buy insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Chevy Volt in Bakersfield, insurance is mandatory in California but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will stipulate that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your Chevy Volt and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in America overpays as much as $865 each year so it’s important to compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Information about specific coverages
Having a good grasp of insurance can help you determine which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Medical costs insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like ambulance fees, pain medications and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as hitting a bird, fire damage and hitting a deer. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for liability – This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers things like court costs, loss of income, attorney fees and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
UM/UIM Coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Chevy Volt.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (California limits are 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as hitting a parking meter, driving through your garage door, damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your Volt to save money on collision insurance.
Compare but don’t skimp
As you prepare to switch companies, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
We covered a lot of information how to get a better price on Chevy Volt insurance in Bakersfield. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the best prices are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Affordable Chevy Volt insurance in Bakersfield can be sourced on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Bakersfield auto insurance with both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not offer price quotes online and many times these regional carriers only sell through independent agents.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)