We don’t have to point out that fact that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Insureds who get comparison quotes at least once a year are highly likely to switch insurance companies because there is a high probability of finding a lower-cost company. A recent survey found that people who regularly shopped around saved over $72 a month compared to policyholders who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the cheapest price on Fiat 500 insurance is your goal, then learning about how to get rate quotes and compare insurance can make shopping around easier.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find low-cost auto insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers who can sell car insurance in Bakersfield. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Get an understanding of how auto insurance works and the factors you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and poor credit history can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Step 2: Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and switch companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current policy. Submit payment and a signed application for the new coverage. As soon as coverage is bound, put the new proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you use identical coverages on each price quote and to quote with all possible companies. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Do you qualify for discounts on Fiat 500 insurance in Bakersfield?
Car insurance is not cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before you will receive the discount. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are paying more than you should be.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- College Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Bakersfield without a vehicle on campus may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and will qualify for a discount on a Bakersfield auto insurance quote.
- E-sign Discounts – Some of the larger companies may give you up to $50 get Bakersfield auto insurance on their website.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for several vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will definitely reduce the cost of your policy.
A list of auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple autos, multiple policy, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, and good student.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for easy pay, family plan, good student, Farm Bureau membership, and defensive driving.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, driver training, daytime running lights, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
- AAA may have discounts that include education and occupation, multi-car, anti-theft, good student, multi-policy, and AAA membership discount.
- 21st Century includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, good student, defensive driver, theft prevention, and 55 and older.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, anti-theft, bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, and good student.
If you are trying to find cheaper Bakersfield auto insurance quotes, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not be offered on policies in Bakersfield. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that offer some of these discounts in California, click here to view.
Shop Fiat 500 insurance online
When comparing auto insurance rates, know that making a lot of price comparisons helps you find more affordable insurance.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Insurance agents near you
Some consumers still like to have an agent’s advice and there is nothing wrong with that. A nice benefit of comparing auto insurance online is that you can obtain the best rates but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Bakersfield that can provide free Bakersfield auto insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to you. Get lower rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Choosing the best company requires more thought than just the premium amount. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
If you need to find a local agent, you should know the different agency structures and how they work. Agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agents in Bakersfield that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type are not locked into one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, you will definitely want to get rate quotes from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agencies in Bakersfield willing to provide price quote information.
Insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Fiat 500 insurance, paying for insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Fiat 500, almost every bank will require that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Fiat at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance preserves both your Fiat and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $750 every year so it’s important to compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance coverage basics
Learning about specific coverages of insurance can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types found on most insurance policies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Fiat 500.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from getting keyed and fire damage. The maximum payout your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for short-term medical expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits and ambulance fees. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto liability insurance
This protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property by causing an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as funeral expenses, medical services, medical expenses, emergency aid and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not be adequate coverage.
This coverage covers damage to your 500 resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like sustaining damage from a pot hole, rolling your car, backing into a parked car and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your 500 to bring the cost down.
Get the best coverage at the best price
When getting Bakersfield auto insurance quotes online, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
The cheapest Fiat 500 insurance in Bakersfield is available from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not have online quoting and these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agencies.
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)