It takes a little time, but the best way to find affordable GMC Sierra insurance is to start comparing rates regularly from different companies in Bakersfield.
- Step 1: Read about auto insurance and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many risk factors that cause high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and a low credit rating can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Step 2: Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of companies. Click to view companies
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to determine if you can save on Sierra insurance in Bakersfield. If you find a lower rate and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
A valuable tip to remember is to use identical coverage information on every quote and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
It’s safe to conclude that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Insureds who shop around annually will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because there is a great chance of finding lower prices. A recent insurance study discovered that people who regularly compared price quotes saved over $70 a month compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the cheapest price for insurance in Bakersfield is the reason for your visit, then having some knowledge of how to shop and compare insurance coverage can help you be more efficient.
If you are already insured, you will definitely be able to reduce the price you pay using these techniques. Shopping for cheaper car insurance policy in Bakersfield is not as time-consuming as you think. Nevertheless, California consumers must comprehend the way companies determine what you pay and use it to find better rates.
To find low cost rates, there are a couple of ways to compare prices from car insurance companies in your area. The quickest method to comparison shop consists of obtaining rate quotes online. When comparison shopping, more quotes will improve the odds of getting more affordable rates. Some smaller insurers do not give online price quotes, so you need to compare quotes from those companies as well.
The companies in the list below offer price quotes in California. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but some need to be requested specifically before being credited. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you can combine your home and auto policy and place coverage with the same company you could save at least 10% off all policies.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for several vehicles with the same auto insurance company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you could save 5% or more.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Teen drivers should successfully complete driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Telematics Data – Insureds who allow their auto insurance company to analyze driving habits by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates if they are good drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of GMC Sierra insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The premiums assume a male driver, no claims or violations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-policy, marriage, safe-driver, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
Large auto insurance companies and their possible discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may include discounts for Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, multiple policy, anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, and multiple autos.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, and online signing.
- MetLife offers discounts including claim-free, defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, and good student.
- Farm Bureau discounts include youthful driver, driver training, renewal discount, safe driver, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including daytime running lights, good student, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, air bags, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO includes discounts for teen safe driver, homeowner, drive less, safe driver, and multi-car.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company to give you their best rates. Some credits might not be offered in your state.
Analysis of GMC Sierra rates
The premium information displayed next covers different insurance policy prices for GMC Sierra models. Being aware of how policy premiums are calculated can help customers make informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$238||$454||$500||$30||$150||$1,372||$114|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$238||$454||$500||$30||$150||$1,372||$114|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$238||$454||$500||$30||$150||$1,372||$114|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$270||$536||$500||$30||$150||$1,486||$124|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$500||$30||$150||$1,596||$133|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$300||$616||$500||$30||$150||$1,596||$133|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$500||$30||$150||$1,596||$133|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in specific garaging location which can increase or decrease price quotes significantly.
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can impact GMC Sierra insurance rates for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agents
A small number of people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to insurance agents in Bakersfield who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
Listed below are Bakersfield auto insurance companies that may be able to provide price quotes for GMC Sierra insurance in Bakersfield.
- Rosie Schweer – State Farm Insurance Agent
4200 Gosford Rd #103 – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 396-7961 – View Map
- David Hall – State Farm® Insurance Agent
5351 Olive Dr #300 – Bakersfield, CA 93308 – (661) 393-8326 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Scott Brown
6501 Schirra Ct #100 – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 837-4100 – View Map
- El Dorado Insurance Agency, Inc.
2809 Unicorn Rd # 102 – Bakersfield, CA 93308 – (800) 221-3386 – View Map
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When quoting and comparing coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Who is covered by my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
The GMC Sierra Insurance Price Equation
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that go into determining your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that can earn you lower premium levels.
Save money by having multiple policies – Most insurers give a discount to buyers that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. The discount can add up to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. If you currently are using one company, drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most.
Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn’t prove that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both genders are in accidents in similar percentages, but the men have accidents that have higher claims. In addition to higher claims, males also get higher numbers of serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 cause the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of GMC Sierra car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
Your location is a factor – Choosing to live in less populated areas can be a good thing when buying car insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accident claims and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Residents of big cities tend to have more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. Spending more time driving means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
Your occupation can affect premiums – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupational choices like military personnel, police officers, and accountants generally pay higher premium rates because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, jobs like professors, athletes and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
Remove unneeded extra policy coverages – Policies have additional extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your car insurance policy. Coverage for things like rental car reimbursement, accident forgiveness, and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
GMC Sierra historical loss data – Insurance companies include the past claim history for a vehicle when they calculate premium costs for each model. Vehicles that historically have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for GMC Sierra vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is considered to be 100. Numbers under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|GMC Sierra 1500 2WD||89||122||106|
|GMC Sierra 1500 4WD||97||86||79|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||87||99||132||69||69||89|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||89||102||114||52||51||73|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||98||109||96||70|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||78||85||89||65||56||94|
|GMC Sierra 2500 4WD||70||56|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||63||101|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||91||118||105||43||50||90|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||67||108||85||40|
|GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||85||128||121||35|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Here’s why auto insurance is not optional
Even though Bakersfield Sierra insurance rates can get expensive, paying for auto insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
First, just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Sierra has a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your GMC at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards both your GMC Sierra and your personal assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your car are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in California is overpaying more than $850 per year so shop around each time the policy renews to save money.
California car insurance companies ranked
Finding the best insurer can be challenging considering how many different companies sell coverage in Bakersfield. The rank data shown below may help you decide which providers to look at comparing price quotes from.
Top 10 Bakersfield Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
Shop around and save
Consumers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, unfair underwriting practices, extreme rates for teen drivers and denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company can be less work than you think.
You just read some good ideas how to save on GMC Sierra insurance in Bakersfield. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best prices are with the smaller companies.
When getting Bakersfield auto insurance quotes online, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Bakersfield Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)