Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that almost 70% of drivers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. With the average car insurance premium being $1,390, California drivers can save nearly $470 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t understand how simple it is to compare rates online.
The recommended way to find cheaper prices for car insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers in Bakersfield.
- First, gain an understanding of what coverages are included in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and an imperfect credit history can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to get cheaper coverage and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application for your new coverage. Make sure you place the new certificate of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a good representation of prices.
If you have a policy now or just want a better rate, you can use these tips to lower your rates while maximizing coverage. Buying the cheapest insurance in Bakersfield can really be easy if you know what you’re doing. You only need an understanding of the proper way to compare rates from many different companies online.
Determine discounts on Bakersfield auto insurance
Car insurance is not cheap, but you may find discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Teen drivers should complete a driver education course in school.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Sign Online – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks get Bakersfield car insurance online.
- Club Memberships – Being in qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save a little off PIP or medical payments premium.
We need to note that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, good driver, safe vehicle, multiple policy, and multiple autos.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for business and professional, mature driver, bundle discounts, teen driver, electronic funds transfer, and alternative fuel.
- Progressive includes discounts for good student, continuous coverage, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-theft, military active duty, defensive driver, membership and employees, air bags, five-year accident-free, and good student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for anti-theft, multi-policy, mature driver, group or association, company car, and teen driver.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for air bag, anti-theft, bundle, driver training, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau has savings for renewal discount, good student, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, 55 and retired, and multi-policy.
- USAA may have discounts that include family discount, loyalty savings, multi-policy, good student, safe driver, driver training, and vehicle storage.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts might not be offered in Bakersfield.
Most of the larger companies make it easy to get coverage prices on the web. Getting online quotes for Hyundai Equus insurance in Bakersfield is easy for anyone as you simply type in your coverage information into the form. When complete, the quote system makes automated requests for information on your driving record and credit history and returns a price based on these and other factors. Being able to quote online for Hyundai Equus insurance in Bakersfield helps simplify price comparisons, and it’s very important to get many rate quotes if you want to find the best rate on auto insurance.
In order to find out how much you’re overpaying now, check out the auto insurance providers below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you input the coverage information identical to your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will get a fair comparison based on similar coverages.
The providers in the list below offer free rate quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If the list has multiple companies, it’s a good idea that you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Six Tips to Get More Affordable Bakersfield Insurance Prices
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that can earn you much lower annual insurance costs. Many things are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, although others are more obscure like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” used by insurance companies to determine your premiums.
- Safer vehicles mean better insurance rates – Safer cars tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less claims paid and lower rates for you.
- More traffic equals higher premiums – Being located in a rural area can be a good thing when trying to find low car insurance rates. People in densely populated areas have to deal with congested traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers and short commutes means a lower chance of having an accident.
- Bundle policies and save money – Most companies give lower prices to clients that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, you still need to comparison shop to help ensure you have the lowest rates. Consumers may find better rates even if you insure with multiple companies
- Your car’s features help determine premiums – Driving a car with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can thwart your car from being stolen.
- Vehicle risk influences rates – The type of car, truck or SUV you own makes a big difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger models usually have the lowest premiums, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Age of drivers – Teenage drivers in California are known to get distracted easily when at the wheel of a vehicle so they pay higher insurance rates. Having to add a teenage driver to your insurance policy can be very expensive. Older, more experienced drivers are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and usually have better credit.
Insurance losses for a Hyundai Equus – Car insurance companies factor in historical loss data when they set coverage costs for each model. Vehicles that have a trend towards higher claims will cost more for coverage.
The table shown below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Hyundai Equus vehicles. For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles combined as an average is equal to 100. Values that are 100 or less imply a favorable loss record, while values over 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Hyundai Equus Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Hyundai Equus 4dr 155 83 225 85BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance can get complicated
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Your needs are unique to you.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- What is an umbrella policy?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Do I need to call my car insurance company before buying a new car?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Buying car insurance from Bakersfield car insurance agents
Many drivers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is still important in Bakersfield.
Upon completion of this quick form, your insurance data is emailed to companies in Bakersfield who will give you bids for your car insurance coverage. You won’t need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. If you need to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you would need to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reliable insurance agent, you should know the different types of agents from which to choose. Agents in Bakersfield may be either independent or exclusive. Either one can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact the selection process.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent.
When comparing car insurance prices, we highly recommend that you get quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection.
Below are Bakersfield independent insurance agencies that can give you free price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
201 California Ave – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below are Bakersfield exclusive agents willing to provide price quote information.
Finding the right auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in California?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Bakersfield?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
Car insurance protects more than just your car
Even though Bakersfield Equus insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
First, the majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your vehicle, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender will be forced to insure your Hyundai at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards both your Hyundai Equus and your personal assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in California is wasting up to $855 a year so it’s important to compare rates every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Compare but don’t skimp
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent and not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is actually quite simple.
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Budget-conscious Hyundai Equus insurance can be purchased from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Bakersfield, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide internet price quotes and these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles:
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Who Has the Cheapest Bakersfield Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)