How many times have you put off comparing quotes for the cheapest car insurance rates in Bakersfield, CA? Bakersfield buyers have options when searching for affordable Toyota Tundra insurance. They can either waste time driving around to get rate comparisons or leverage the internet to compare rates. There are both good and bad ways to shop for car insurance so we’re going to tell you the absolute fastest way to price shop coverage on a Toyota and get the best price possible either online or from Bakersfield insurance agents.
Unthinkable but true, over 70% of California drivers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never shopped around. Consumers in America can save about $860 each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rate quotes.
If you have insurance now or need new coverage, you can learn to shop for the lowest rates without reducing protection. The purpose of this post is to familiarize you with the most effective way to quote insurance and some tips to save money. Drivers just need to learn the best way to compare different rates on the web.
The following companies provide comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Save money by taking advantage of discounts
Some providers don’t list every policy discount very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find car insurance savings.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a safe driver class could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Simply owning a home can earn you a little savings since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- Accident Free – Bakersfield drivers who stay claim-free can save substantially in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- Paper-free Discount – Some of the larger companies will give a small break shop Bakersfield car insurance on the web.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your bill.
It’s important to note that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
The chart below shows the comparison of Toyota Tundra insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The premiums assume a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Bakersfield, follow this link.
Analysis of coverages
The rate table shown next showcases different coverage costs for Toyota Tundra models. Being more informed about how insurance quotes are calculated can help you make decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tundra Regular Cab 2WD||$268||$470||$674||$40||$202||$1,654||$138|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 2WD||$308||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,794||$150|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 2WD||$308||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,794||$150|
|Tundra Regular Cab 4WD||$348||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,834||$153|
|Tundra Double Cab 4WD||$348||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,834||$153|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 4WD||$348||$570||$674||$40||$202||$1,834||$153|
|Tundra Limited Double Cab 2WD||$348||$672||$674||$40||$202||$1,936||$161|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 2WD||$348||$672||$674||$40||$202||$1,936||$161|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 4WD||$388||$672||$674||$40||$202||$1,976||$165|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 4WD||$388||$672||$674||$40||$202||$1,976||$165|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in Bakersfield location which can affect auto insurance rates significantly.
Raise deductibles and save
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is how high should the physical damage coverage deductibles be. The comparisons below may aid in understanding the price difference when you buy lower versus higher deductibles. The first rate comparisons uses a $100 deductible for comp and collision and the second price grid uses a $500 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tundra Regular Cab 2WD||$332||$564||$500||$30||$150||$1,601||$133|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 2WD||$380||$686||$500||$30||$150||$1,771||$148|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 2WD||$380||$686||$500||$30||$150||$1,771||$148|
|Tundra Regular Cab 4WD||$430||$686||$500||$30||$150||$1,821||$152|
|Tundra Double Cab 4WD||$430||$686||$500||$30||$150||$1,821||$152|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 4WD||$430||$686||$500||$30||$150||$1,821||$152|
|Tundra Limited Double Cab 2WD||$430||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,945||$162|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 2WD||$430||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,945||$162|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 4WD||$478||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,993||$166|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 4WD||$478||$810||$500||$30||$150||$1,993||$166|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tundra Regular Cab 2WD||$242||$382||$500||$30||$150||$1,304||$109|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 2WD||$278||$464||$500||$30||$150||$1,422||$119|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 2WD||$278||$464||$500||$30||$150||$1,422||$119|
|Tundra Regular Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$500||$30||$150||$1,458||$122|
|Tundra Double Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$500||$30||$150||$1,458||$122|
|Tundra SR/5 Double Cab 4WD||$314||$464||$500||$30||$150||$1,458||$122|
|Tundra Limited Double Cab 2WD||$314||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,540||$128|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 2WD||$314||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,540||$128|
|Tundra Limited Crew MAX 4WD||$348||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,574||$131|
|Tundra SR/5 Crew Max 4WD||$348||$546||$500||$30||$150||$1,574||$131|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in zip code location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates considerably.
Using the data above, we can ascertain that using a $100 deductible could cost the average driver approximately $31 more each month or $372 annually than choosing the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you have more than 13 months between claims, you would save more money going with the higher deductible.
How to calculate deductible break even period
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$154|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||– $123|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$31|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 – $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $31|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||13 months|
Toyota Tundra annual premiums for males versus females
The information below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Tundra annual premium costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Toyota Tundra annual premium costs with full coverage and liability only. Data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no set guideline for excluding comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Tundra replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $700 annually for physical damage coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where buying only liability insurance is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Neighborhood Bakersfield auto insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to buy from a local agent and we recommend doing that Agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get lower premium rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to agents in your area that provide free Bakersfield car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to search for an agent because prices are sent to your email. If you want to compare rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Choosing the best insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- How are they compensated?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you prefer to buy insurance from local Bakersfield agents, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies that you can choose from. Agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the differences because it can factor into the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years partially due to the prominent brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Bakersfield that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Shannon Hill
2500 New Stine Rd Ste 101 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 836-1136 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Megan Waite
4200 Easton Dr #1 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 327-3486 – View Map
- Keith Stonebraker – State Farm Insurance Agent
4600 Ashe Rd #308 – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 664-9663 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent often have affiliation with several companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you contact at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from. Most also have access to different regional companies which may provide better rates.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Bakersfield that can give you comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
201 California Ave – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
- Crosby and Crosby Insurance Services
111 H St – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 327-5531 – View Map
- Tony Camarena Insurance Agency
324 Oak St – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 322-3500 – View Map
Toyota Tundra Insurance Costs Can Be Reduced
Many different elements are used when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, although some other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
- Bundle policies and save money – Some insurance companies will give better rates for people that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- Your credit score is important – Having a good credit rating can be an important factor in determining premium rates. Insureds that have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with poor credit. If your credit score can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your Toyota Tundra if you improve your credit rating.
- Policy add-ons may be wasting money – Insurance policies have a lot of optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren’t careful. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, better glass coverage, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. You may think they are a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you don’t need them remove them and pocket the money.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more you drive in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. The majority of insurers charge rates based upon how much you drive. Autos that have low annual miles qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. An improperly rated Tundra is just wasting money. It’s always a good idea to double check that your policy is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
Get a ticket, pay higher rates – Having a clean driving record can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to careless drivers. Even a single driving citation may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received flagrant tickets such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and fender-benders can drive up Toyota Tundra yearly insurance costs for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
- Being married is a good thing – Being married can actually save you money on insurance. Marriage usually means you are more financially stable it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
More performance means more cost – The performance of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a huge difference in your premium level. The cheapest insurance rates tend to be for smaller low performance passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The data below assumes a single female driver age 50, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Toyota Tundra rates compared to other makes and models that have different risk factors.
- Where you call home plays a part – Living in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices when insuring your vehicles. City drivers have to deal with congested traffic and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers on the road translates into fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Insurance losses for a Toyota Tundra – Companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle to calculate a rate that will offset losses. Models that the data determines to have higher claim amounts or frequency will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The next table illustrates the insurance loss data for Toyota Tundra vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, equals 100. Values under 100 indicate better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Toyota Tundra Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Toyota Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Tundra CrewMax 2WD 88 105 96 63 75 94 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4WD 97 113 105 64 51 77 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 2WD 95 131 90 85 84 107 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD 86 112 93 53 55 79 Toyota Tundra Double Cab LWB 4WD 93 115 69BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Three reasons car insurance is important
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Toyota in Bakersfield, insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Toyota at an extremely high rate and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your Toyota Tundra and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average American driver is wasting up to $820 a year so you should quote and compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Best auto insurance company in California
Ending up with the top insurer can be a challenge considering how many companies provide coverage in California. The information below may help you decide which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing prices from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|AAA of Southern California||91||94||97||92%||A+||94.1|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Don’t give up on cheap rates
When trying to cut insurance costs, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that it was a big mistake. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost.
We covered a lot of information how to get a better price on Toyota Tundra insurance in Bakersfield. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. Consumers may even find the best rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Consumers switch companies for many reasons like high prices, denial of a claim, policy cancellation or lack of trust in their agent. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new car insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
How to find low-cost Toyota Tundra insurance in Bakersfield
The recommended way to find low-cost Toyota Tundra insurance in Bakersfield is to regularly compare quotes from companies in California. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about policy coverages and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as accidents, traffic tickets, and poor credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple insurance companies. View insurance agents
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the newly selected company. Be sure to keep the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
An important note is to compare identical coverages on every price quote and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. This provides a fair rate comparison and a complete rate analysis.
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Active Military in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)