The best way to find cheaper quotes for auto insurance rates in Bakersfield is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in California.
- Read about policy coverages and the things you can control to prevent rate increases. Many factors that cause high rates such as multiple speeding tickets and a less-than-favorable credit history can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article gives information to help find cheaper rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new company. When you receive it, keep the new certificate verifying coverage along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One thing to point out is that you’ll want to compare the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get prices from as many carriers as you can. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
Smart shoppers know that insurance companies don’t want you to look at other companies. People who shop around for cheaper rates are likely to move their business because they stand a good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. Remarkably, a study showed that people who regularly compared price quotes saved on average $3,450 over four years compared to those who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the cheapest price for insurance in Bakersfield is why you’re here, then knowing how to get rate quotes and compare insurance coverage can make the process less intimidating.
Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Bakersfield is actually quite easy if you know where to start. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to find the best rates using the following tips. Drivers just need to understand the most time-saving way to shop from many different companies.
The easiest way to get policy rate comparisons for Dodge Stratus insurance in Bakersfield is to know most larger insurance companies will pay a fee to quote your coverage. The one thing you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information including if you have an active license, driver ages, your occupation, and if a SR-22 is required. Your information gets transmitted to multiple top-rated companies and they provide comparison quotes very quickly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here then complete the form.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Even though it can be expensive, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific limits of liability in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Dodge Stratus with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your Dodge at an extremely high rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your Dodge Stratus and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. As of last year, the average driver in California overpays more than $700 annually so you should quote rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Earn discounts on Bakersfield insurance
Insurance is expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help offset the cost. Some of these discounts will be visible when you get a quote, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before you will receive the discount. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Active Military Service – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of up to 20% and get you affordable Dodge Stratus insurance rates in Bakersfield.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Federal government employees can earn a discount up to 10% with some insurance companies.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Bakersfield auto insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds with no claims or accidents get the best insurance rates when compared with drivers with a long claim history.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower insurance rates if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
You can save money using discounts, but many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount will cut the premium cost.
Some of the larger companies who might offer most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
If you want affordable Bakersfield auto insurance quotes, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Some credits may not be offered in Bakersfield. To find providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, follow this link.
Do I just need basic coverages?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is not a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone’s needs are different and your auto insurance should be unique as well.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- What policy terms are available?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Bakersfield?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
When to contact an insurance agent
Certain consumers still prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. You don’t have to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an provider requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive car insurance agents
When finding a reliable insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Agents in Bakersfield are considered either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both can insure your vehicles, but it’s important to point out the subtle differences since it may influence the type of agent you choose.
Agents that choose to be exclusive work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the brand name instead of buying on price only.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Bakersfield that are able to give price quote information.
- Keith Goree – State Farm Insurance Agent
11350 Ming Ave #230 – Bakersfield, CA 93311 – (661) 663-9000 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Hero Singh
3400 Panama Ln h – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 229-4008 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance: Brian Parks
1612 California Ave – Bakersfield, CA 93304 – (661) 859-1000 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not work for one specific company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you. When comparing car insurance rates, you need to compare prices from multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection. They also have the ability to place coverage with small mutual carriers which could offer lower prices.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Bakersfield that are able to give rate quotes.
- Fox, James H – James H Fox Insurance
42 Bernard St – Bakersfield, CA 93305 – (661) 322-2023 – View Map
- NSE Insurance Agencies, Inc.
5330 Office Center Ct # 69 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 327-0620 – View Map
- Clifford and Bradford Insurance Agency
1515 20th St – Bakersfield, CA 93301 – (661) 283-8100 – View Map
Insurance coverages 101
Having a good grasp of insurance helps when choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types found on the average insurance policy.
Medical expense coverage – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for short-term medical expenses such as chiropractic care, funeral costs and ambulance fees. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive protection – Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as hitting a bird, rock chips in glass and hail damage. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims like crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle and damaging your car on a curb. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Stratus to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability – Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as repair costs for stationary objects, medical expenses and structural damage. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but buy higher limits if possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The illustration below shows why minimum state limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
More affordable car insurance in Bakersfield can be found both online and also from your neighborhood Bakersfield agents, so you need to shop Bakersfield auto insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not offer online quoting and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
We just covered some good ideas how to save on Dodge Stratus insurance in Bakersfield. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Dodge Stratus rate quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
More detailed car insurance information is located by following these links:
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Bakersfield Auto Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)