The easiest way to find cheaper quotes for car insurance rates in Bakersfield is to compare prices annually from providers in California. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
First, read about what coverages are included in your policy and the factors you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like distracted driving and a bad credit score can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article provides additional tips to find cheap rates and find discounts that may have been missed.
Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the quotes to your existing policy to determine if you can save on Sky insurance. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new carrier. Be sure to place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
An important part of this process is to make sure you’re comparing identical coverages on every quote and and to analyze as many carriers as you can. This ensures a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
It’s amazing but the vast majority of car insurance customers kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and nearly the majority have never compared quotes from other companies. California drivers could save themselves approximately 35% a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t believe how much they could save if they bought a different policy.
Reduce your insurance rates with these six discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you might already qualify for some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking time to complete a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- No Accidents – Insureds with no claims or accidents get the best insurance rates in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes have fewer accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Telematics Data – Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to study vehicle usage by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could save a few bucks if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new Sky may earn a small discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky. But all discounts will help reduce your overall premium however.
Larger insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, driver training, seat belt use, federal employee, and daytime running lights.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including age of vehicle, location of vehicle, ease of repair, multi-policy, and annual mileage.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, teen driver, distant student, homeowner, and youthful driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for student away at school, multiple vehicles, safe vehicle, air bags, good student, and group or association.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for exclusive group savings, multi-car, new vehicle discount, newly retired, and teen driver discount.
- SAFECO offers discounts for teen safe driver, bundle discounts, drive less, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- USAA includes discounts for good student, multi-policy, vehicle storage, annual mileage, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and safe driver.
Check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Savings might not apply in Bakersfield. If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer discounts in Bakersfield, click this link.
Finding low cost Bakersfield auto insurance prices is actually quite simple. All that’s required is to take a few minutes comparing rates to find out which insurance company has inexpensive Bakersfield auto insurance quotes.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to call or drive to insurance agencies in your area. The internet eliminates the middleman unless you prefer the advice and guidance that you can only get from talking to an agent. It is possible to get the lowest quotes online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Do I need an agent?
Many people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that can be a great decision Experienced insurance agents are trained risk managers and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of comparing car insurance online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and also buy local. And supporting small agencies is important particularly in Bakersfield.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare rates from a specific insurance company, just jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agents and how they function. Car insurance policy providers can either be independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s important to know the subtle differences since it may influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company so they can insure your vehicles with a variety of different insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing car insurance prices, it’s a good idea to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Below are Bakersfield independent agencies that can possibly get you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance – Michaud Insurance Agency Inc
3795 Niles St – Bakersfield, CA 93306 – (661) 633-9900 – View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Bakersfield who can help you get price quote information.
Jim Windes – State Farm Insurance Agent
3512 Coffee Rd d – Bakersfield, CA 93308 – (661) 588-1001 – View Map
Selecting an insurance agency is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- How are they compensated?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
Upon getting good feedback as well as inexpensive Saturn Sky insurance in Bakersfield quotes, you may have found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy. Just understand that you are entitled to terminate your policy for any reason so never feel that you are permanently stuck with the car insurance policy for the full policy term.
Ratings for California auto insurance companies
Choosing the right insurer is hard considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Bakersfield. The company rank data in the next section may help you analyze which car insurance companies you want to consider purchasing from.
Top 10 Bakersfield Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
Information about specific coverages
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are typical coverage types offered by auto insurance companies.
Comprehensive insurance – This pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hail damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, theft, hitting a deer and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Saturn Sky.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (California limits are 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your Sky resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things such as scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle and damaging your car on a curb. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Sky to bring the cost down.
Liability car insurance – This will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things like emergency aid, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, pain and suffering and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why the minimum limit may not be enough coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for bills such as chiropractic care, doctor visits, nursing services, rehabilitation expenses and surgery. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Persistence pays off
Affordable Saturn Sky insurance in Bakersfield can be purchased online and from local agencies, so you should compare both to have the best selection. A few companies may not offer rate quotes online and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agents.
When shopping online for insurance, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
Even more information is located by following these links:
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Electric Cars in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Bakersfield Car Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)