It’s an obvious conclusion that auto insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Drivers who do rate comparisons are very likely to buy a new policy because they have good chances of finding a policy with better rates. A study showed that drivers who routinely shopped around saved approximately $865 annually compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest price for Kia Borrego insurance is your ultimate target, then understanding how to find and compare insurance rates can save time and make the process easier.
The recommended way to get affordable Kia Borrego insurance in Bakersfield is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in California.
- First, gain an understanding of how insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like traffic citations, accidents, and a lousy credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article gives additional tips to help find cheaper rates and find hidden discounts.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, notify your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the new company. As soon as coverage is bound, keep your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
The most important part of this process is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same level of coverage on every quote and and to get rates from all possible companies. This provides a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
If you have coverage now or are looking for a new policy, use these tips to find the best rates without reducing coverage. Getting quotes for the best coverage in Bakersfield is not as hard as you think. You just need to understand the most efficient way to compare rate quotes from many different companies online.
Score discounts on Bakersfield auto insurance
Car insurance is not cheap, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. Certain reductions will be credited at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Government Employee Discount – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Bakersfield car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Student Discounts – Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings up to 30%.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with one company they may give you a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home can help you save on auto insurance since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some insurance companies give discounts for switching to them early. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Paper-free Discount – Many larger companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy on the internet.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not really a discount, but companies like State Farm and Allstate will allow you to have one accident without raising rates so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your overall premium however.
A list of auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm offers premium reductions for anti-theft, passive restraint, accident-free, multiple autos, driver’s education, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, bundled insurance, accident-free, Steer into Savings, air bags, early bird, and mySafetyValet.
- GEICO has savings for driver training, emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, federal employee, and membership and employees.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include student driver, automatic seat belts, 55 and older, theft prevention, and good student.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and good student.
When comparing rates, check with every insurance company which discounts they offer. A few discounts might not apply in Bakersfield. If you would like to choose from a list of companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click this link.
The method we recommend to get policy rate comparisons for Kia Borrego insurance in Bakersfield is to know most of the larger companies participate in a system to compare their rates. All consumers are required to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information like deductibles desired, distance driven, if you are currently licensed, and whether you drive to work or school. Your details is sent automatically to multiple different insurance companies and you will get price comparisons with very little delay.
To get price quotes for your car now, click here then complete the form.
The companies in the list below offer quotes in Bakersfield, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better auto insurance rates.
Maintain auto insurance coverage – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a sure-fire way to increase your auto insurance rates. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may then have to file a SR-22 with the California department of motor vehicles.
High coverage deductibles reduce premiums – Your deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some coverage claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, hail damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense you have to pay, the better rate you will receive.
Good credit equals lower prices – Having a bad credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. Drivers with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Kia Borrego by repairing your credit.
Auto insurance rates and age – Beginning drivers in California have been known to be inattentive and easily distracted in a vehicle therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a first-time driver to your auto insurance policy can be quite pricey. Older people are viewed as being more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and are safer drivers.
Driving citations increase rates – Having a single speeding ticket can increase rates by as much as thirty percent. Attentive drivers have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with dangerous violations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find they need to complete a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Cheaper to insure women? – Over time, data shows females are less aggressive when driving. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Males and females get in auto accidents in similar numbers, but the males get into accidents with more damage. They also receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
Exclusive versus independent auto insurance agents
Some consumers prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the best rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this simple form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your business. There is no need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing an provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long has the business existed?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Bakersfield?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Bakersfield?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
Bakersfield car insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When finding a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they function. Auto insurance agencies can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can sell auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the difference in the companies they write for since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the brand name rather than low rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Bakersfield willing to provide price quotes.
- Tom Smethurst – State Farm Insurance Agent
13061 Rosedale Hwy a – Bakersfield, CA 93314 – (661) 589-1991 – View Map
- Bill Thomas – State Farm Insurance Agent
8200 Stockdale Hwy Ste M3 – Bakersfield, CA 93311 – (661) 397-1999 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Hero Singh
3400 Panama Ln h – Bakersfield, CA 93313 – (661) 229-4008 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to contact several independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which could offer lower prices.
The following is a list of independent agents in Bakersfield who can help you get comparison quotes.
- California Insurance Specialist
1601 New Stine Rd # 100 – Bakersfield, CA 93309 – (661) 397-3944 – View Map
- Walter Mortensen Insurance
8500 Stockdale Hwy – Bakersfield, CA 93311 – (661) 834-6222 – View Map
- William K Lyons Agency Inc
2100 F St # 200 – Bakersfield, CA 93301 – (661) 327-9731 – View Map
After receiving good responses to these questions as well as a price you’re happy with, you’ve probably found an insurance agency that is a good match to provide auto insurance coverage. It’s important to know that you are entitled to cancel your policy any time you want so don’t think that you are permanently stuck with a specific agent with no way out.
Choosing Borrego insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Kia Borrego in Bakersfield, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Kia Borrego with a loan, almost every bank will stipulate that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Kia at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves your Kia and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Borrego more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in America is overpaying more than $820 a year so compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
What is the best auto insurance company in Bakersfield?
Choosing the right insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Bakersfield. The information shown next could help you select which companies to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Bakersfield Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like denial of a claim, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent or even questionable increases in premium. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and usually these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agencies. Budget-conscious Kia Borrego insurance can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection.
Additional information can be found at these links:
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Electric Cars in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)