If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to compare prices once a year from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Bakersfield.
- Get a basic knowledge of policy coverages and the changes you can make to prevent high rates. Many things that result in higher rates such as traffic citations and a low credit rating can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives additional ideas to get better rates and find additional discounts.
- Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for many different companies. View insurance agents
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper rate is available in Bakersfield. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current coverage. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to the new company. Once coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
It’s a known fact that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Insureds who compare price quotes will presumably buy a different policy because of the good chance of finding good coverage at a lower price. A recent survey found that consumers who compared rates regularly saved over $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding discount rates on auto insurance in Bakersfield is the reason you’re reading this, then learning about how to get price quotes and compare coverage rates can make it easier to find better rates.
Six Tips to Get Cheaper Bakersfield Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that are used to determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in cheaper rates. Many factors are considered when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but others are more obscure like where you live or your vehicle rating.
- Deter vehicle theft – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft deterrent systems such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Insurance premiums and vehicle performance – The make and model of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. Smaller low performance passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- High comp and collision deductibles cost less – Your deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage, aka comp and collision, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims are a windshield broken by a bird, damage from fire, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you’re willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Battle of the sexes – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. It does not mean females are better at driving than males. Women and men tend to get into at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Male drivers age 16 to 19 cause the most accidents and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Safer cars mean better rates – Safe vehicles get lower rates. Highly rated vehicles protect occupants better and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums.
- Your job is a factor – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs like military generals, air traffic controllers, and emergency personnel are shown to have the highest average rates in part from high stress and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as professors, athletes and homemakers receive lower rates.
Discounts for cheaper auto insurance rates
Car insurance is not cheap, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10% off your Bakersfield auto insurance quote.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Professional Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when getting a Bakersfield auto insurance quote.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Lexus may allow you to get cheaper rates.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable data collection to scrutinize their driving habits remotely such as State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Not all auto insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
Don’t be shocked that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- AAA includes discounts for AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good driver, multi-policy, education and occupation, good student, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include electronic funds transfer, teen driver, multi-car, mature driver, pay in full, youthful driver, and early shopping.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, defensive driver, driver training, and seat belt use.
- Esurance has discounts for good student, Pac-12 alumni, defensive driver, multi-policy, renters, and multi-car.
- SAFECO discounts include anti-theft, multi-car, teen safety rewards, safe driver, and drive less.
- State Farm may offer discounts for safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, good student, defensive driving training, and multiple autos.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be offered everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
Compare but don’t skimp
People change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, delays in paying claims, extreme rates for teen drivers and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When you buy Bakersfield auto insurance online, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Budget-friendly car insurance in Bakersfield can be sourced from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Bakersfield, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies don’t offer rate quotes online and usually these regional carriers only sell through independent agents.
To learn more, link through to the following helpful articles:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Bakersfield, California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Nurses in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Auto Insurance Rates for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Bakersfield Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Retired Military in Bakersfield? (FAQ)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)